Monday, January 14, 2013

Happy 4th Birthday Finley!

Finley, Guess what? You are four. You are a little girl now. I shouldn't be calling you a baby any longer. Please forgive me for doing so and I hope I don't embarrass you one day if I say it in front of your friends. For now, you don't seem to mind. I want to keep you bite-sized but not because I don't want to see you grow and learn and become you but because I want to keep you protected and safe and warm and happy - to wrap you up as I did when you were a teeny baby and to hold you forever. I love you so much. We are pretty cool as a team, don't you think?
You enjoy hanging out, playing, going to restaurants and helping with the cooking at home. You don't like picking up after yourself or helping me with folding clothes (but who would?). You love shopping with Mommy. You are my big helper! I love it when you snuggle into bed with me in the mornings and you kiss me on the forehead and nose. Even if I am totally exhausted, waking up to you standing next to my bed, ready to snuggle is the absolute best! The way you race towards me when I pick you up after school and you tell me you love me as you are drifting off to sleep - they are the moments I look forward to each day.
Every evening I ask you if you had fun today and if you are happy. One day you might ask me why. Baby girl, you see, I don't want you to ever go to sleep upset. I want you to wake up smiling and ready to take on the day. Life is tricky. There is so much to learn about it and you are asking lots of questions these days such as "How do cows make milk?" and "Where do sandwiches come from?". You ask me the same questions because you know they make me laugh. But what if one day you ask me a harder question? I hope I can answer it for you. We've had a lot of fun this last year haven't we? We went to Disney World with Nana and Pop Pop, we spent a month in FL and NC with Mamaw and Papaw, Aunt Amy and Gavin. We went to the beach a few times this summer too. You told me this was your birthday week! It sure is. Today we are having a party with your Chestnut Grove friends. After school, we are going with your cousin Isabella for ice cream and then tonight, Nana and Pop Pop are coming to celebrate with dinner and a “chocolate cake with chocolate icing and white ice cream”. Just like you asked for. This weekend we will celebrate with the most amazing party anyone has ever seen, all for you and your sisters! You might not know this Finley - when you tell us one of your stories I'm not only listening to you but I am also memorizing your beautiful face. Your eyes tell me so much. From the day you were born, I told everyone, “She has the quirkiest little personality” and you still do. You are SO funny and have the most gorgeous smile I have ever seen. You get more beautiful every time I look at you.
I wish I could pause time for a little bit. Before I know it you'll be five. I love you more than I can ever put into words, my sweet baby. I love you all the love in the world. You are my heart. Mommy

No comments: