
Mason,
Today is your fifth birthday. Wow, that is almost hard for me to say out loud. I remember the first glimpse I got of you being wheeled out of the OR to the NICU. 5:48 PM, January 30, 2007. 34 weeks, 3 pounds, 14 ozs, 17 ¼ inches long. Screaming your little head off! So tiny and yet so mighty!
My heart was literally broken in half when the doctors told me that I wouldn’t be able to see you and Preslee for a few days. Mommy was sick too and I had to be a little better before I could hold you. I remember the first picture that Daddy took the night you were born. He brought the camera up to my room to show me you and your sister. I could not wrap my head around the fact that we had done it. Me, you and Preslee, a team for 34 whole weeks. You were both healthy. Your Daddy and I were so happy. You were just minutes old, sucking down a bottle, like you had done it your whole life.
You exude strength. You are silly. Confident. Stubborn. Dramatic. Artistic. Life of the party. Talkative. People flock towards you.
There are days that I lose myself in your eyes and wonder how you became the person you are today. Are you really my daughter? Bubbly, boisterous, and beautiful. I am so grateful for who you are. I am envious of your passion for life, your confidence, your ambitions. I want to bottle up your soul forever.
You have taught me so many great things and opened up my eyes to a new world. "You can dance with Daddy!!!" you squealed yesterday when I asked myself out loud what I was going to do with my time while my three girls were in school next fall. Thank you dearest Mason, Daddy and I will dance that day. You make my heart sing out loud when I look in the rear view mirror of my minivan. I see you break out in song as your limbs start dancing and I smile at your honesty. You are always happy and pure and I want to bottle your soul up for the next day. And. The next.
You, sweet daughter, are the life of the party–any party. And if there isn’t a party, you are determined to either find one or start one. You love people, more than perhaps anyone I know. Mason, you love life and you love being alive. Everyday is wonderful in your eyes and that makes my days more wonderful too.
Mason, it is no surprise that those around you, family friends and even strangers, adore you. You capture hearts wherever you go. You are also one of the funniest people I know. However, I’m not going let you get off that easy. You are also a stubborn little girl, who once fixated on something has an almost impossible time of letting go, which results in some difficult bedtimes.
Your stubbornness is a challenge for your dad and me, but we have no doubt that God will use your resolve to bless His name…it might just take a while.
I love you Mason. I love your sass and your heart. I love your love of fashion and accessories. Daddy better get ready. You, your sisters and I will be great shopping partners in crime in the future. I love your creativity and imagination. I love imagining who you will become and what you will accomplish in life.
Happy 5th Birthday Mason Elizabeth! I love you all the love in the world.
Love, Mommy
30 3/4 pounds and 39 1/2 inches tall on your 5 year appt.
1 comment:
Your blogs filled me up with tears -- you captured each of the girls so well.. I love them so much ---they changed our world too 5 years ago, and continue too. I couldn't feel more blessed to have them as granddaughters and to have you as a DIL who invites me to share in their lives.
Love you all!
Post a Comment